The University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees voted unanimously Tuesday, November 18, to approve the conversion to semesters.

Before voting, Nancy Zimpher, UC president, Anthony Perzigian, provost and Monica Rimai, senior vice president of administration and finance, offered an endorsement for the conversion.

The conversion to semesters was taken with students in mind. As a result of the conversion switch, ""students seeking a high-quality, affordable education,"" will benefit.

""I think you would agree we took a student-centric approach by recognizing the needs of our students,"" Perzigian said before BOT members voted.

The conversion, which is to take effect Autumn 2012, is expected to cost the university $13.867 million.

""While this conversion has cost implications, the cost effectiveness will also solve other instructional teaching and learning [issues],"" Zimpher said.

The university also expects to reap monetary benefits from the 2012 transition.

""Dividends to the university and its stakeholders are enormous as UC further positions itself as a major urban research university and a 21st century leader in teaching and learning,"" wrote Perzigian and Rimai in ""Conversion of Academic Calendar from Quarters to Semesters,"" a Nov. 10 document presented to the BOT for approval.

Proponents of the semesters conversion suggest the change will play an integral role in Zimpher's push for 21st century teaching and learning.

""I can tell you that President [Roderick] McDavis, from Ohio University, and I had a session with Chancellor Fingerhut,"" Zimpher said. ""[Fingerhut] not only acknowledged, but embraced, this larger concept of 21st century teaching and learning.""

Zimpher's focus on new-age learning combines many of the conversion elements – performance-based budgeting, managing the cost of tuition, encouraging enrollment growth, review of credits to degree and course offerings.

""When coupled with collegiate restructuring, the conversion will result in more synergies across programs, fewer programmatic redundancies across colleges and a more strategic array of degree programs,"" according to the document sent to BOT members.

Along with UC, three other universities – The Ohio State University, Ohio University and Wright State University – are taking the transitional plunge.

All four universities expect to be converted by, though not likely before, 2012, according to Zimpher.