IMG_4276.jpg

The University of Cincinnati women's basketball team defeated the Memphis Tigers, 71-54, on Wednesday, Feb. 23, 2022 at Fifth-Third Arena.

The University of Cincinnati (UC) women’s basketball (11-16, 4-11 AAC), has fallen to last place in the American Athletic Conference (AAC), prior to the conference’s tournament in Fort Worth, Texas. On March 7, UC will tip off against the No. 6 Houston Cougars for their first game of the tournament. 

The Bearcats beat the cougars earlier this season in Houston, 71-56, despite losing traction towards the season’s end. However, Houston concluded the regular season at an even 14-14 record. 

In each of the last five AAC tournaments, UC has claimed at least one victory, making the upset within reasonable reach for Michelle Clark-Heard’s Bearcats. Despite beating the No. 2 University of Central Florida (UCF) earlier in the season, Cincinnati concluded the regular season with a 74-39 loss at UCF. 

Cincinnati is ahead of their former selves, as they concluded the hardship-ridden 2020-21 season (8-16, 6-12). If the Bearcats upset Houston, they will face No. 3 Tulane, coming off a first-round bye, on Tuesday at 9 p.m. 

Cincinnati’s bout against Houston is set to tip off at 6 p.m. and will be available on ESPN+. Tickets for the game can be purchased here.

Owen began at TNR in 2020 as a Staff Reporter and while studying both economics and journalism has freelanced for the Dayton Business Journal. Owen covers all Bearcats athletics and will be joining the Denver Business Journal in Summer 2022.