WBB_UConn-9.jpg

TNR File

Closing the regular season, the University of Cincinnati women's basketball team finished with a resounding win over Eastern Carolina University Monday evening at Fifth Third Arena with a final score of 76-53.

The Bearcats improved to 20-9, 11-5 American Athletic Conference.

Not only was this the last game of the regular season but it was also senior night, which honored forward Angel Rizor and guards Sam Rodgers, Antoinette Miller and Florence Sifa.

Rizor was welcomed into the 1,000-point club last week against Tulane University.

"It's an amazing accomplishment to be in the 1,000 point club with a lot of people I've played with so it means a lot to make it into that club and it's great to [accomplish] this at a great university," Rizor said.

In the first quarter Rodgers, Miller and Rizor came out strong in their last game at home. Miller collected 9 points, Rizor with 6 and a couple three pointers from Rodgers put UC out to a 25-12 lead after the first ten minutes.

The trend continued throughout the first half, as the Bearcats allowed only five points in the second quarter and Rizor converted a layup with one minute left give UC a 38-17 advantage at halftime.

The third quarter saw the seniors team up once again, as Rodgers sank another three-pointer courtesy of an assist from Miller, while foul trouble plagued ECU.

After a turnover by ECU, Rizor pushed up the court to assist Rodgers on a jump shot, giving the Bearcats a commanding 33-point lead.

"We all wanted to finish the year great and we wanted to finish with a bang," Rizor said. "We came in with a bang and wanted to go out with a bang so we all needed to focus and do that."

Sifa brought physicality and experienced foul trouble after committing a fourth personal foul to allow ECU an opportunity for easy points.

Rodgers converted two free throws to open up the fourth quarter and proceeded to assist miller on a three-pointer, allowing the seniors to finish on a high note.

All four of the seniors were honored at the end of the game, receiving their jersey in a frame and some words of appreciation from second-year head coach Michelle Clark-Heard.

"I push them every day and I push them to new heights, and it's been a great ride with them, but we're not done yet," Heard said.

The women's basketball team now looks to take the title of conference tournament champions after finishing tied for second with the University of Central Florida in the regular season.

The first round of the American Athletic Conference Championship in Uncasville, Connecticut, begins Friday.