UC vs UCONN WBB

University of Cincinnati player Iimar'I Thomas fights for the ball against a University of Connecticut player during the first quarter of the game Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2020 at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati

The University of Cincinnati women's basketball was dominated by No. 6 University of Connecticut, 105-58, Wednesday evening at Fifth Third Arena. It the first time the Huskies eclipsed 100 points this season.

UConn improved to 24-3, 14-0 in the American Athletic Conference (AAC), while UC dropped to 18-9, 9-5 AAC.

"This was definitely not who we are," UC head coach Michelle Clark-Heard said postgame. "We gave up tons of three's and a ton of points in transition. When you get to a point where you play a great program and a great team, that can't happen."

It was an annual rematch for the two teams, as they previously met in Storrs, Connecticut Jan. 30, where UConn won 80-50. With both teams having lost no more than three of the last 10 games, there was plenty of momentum on both sides heading into Wednesday.

However, the Bearcats had a lackluster night offensively, shooting 23-72 (31.9%) from the field.

It was the opposite case for UConn, as it shot 56% and a 69% from three-point range. The Huskies were led by sophomore guard Christyn Williams (26 points), junior forward Megan Walker (25 points) and freshman guard Anna Makurat (20 points). The trio combined to shoot 12-of-17 from beyond the arc.

"[Makurat] is a really, really good basketball player," UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said. "When I watch her play, I don't even think of her as a freshman. She's only going to get better and better, and tonight was one of her best games."

The second quarter proved to be costly for the Bearcats. By the end of the half, they were outscored by 20 points and were unable to capitalize on extra possessions, with three points off nine turnovers.

Physicality was a theme over the course of the game, as there were 12 fouls in the first half and UConn out-rebounded UC, 30-15. The Huskies held a 46-18 advantage at the half.

The rebounding trend continued in the second half, as UConn won the glass, 50-28. The Huskies extended their focus to dishing the ball to teammates as well, as they rank seventh in the nation in assists per game at 18. UConn, who averages 18 assists per game, produced 27 against UC led by Makurat (6) and senior guard Crystal Dangerfield (6), compared to UC's 12.

UC's main scoring option, junior forward Iimari'I Thomas (19.2 points per game) was limited to 6 points on 3-or-7 shooting.

The Bearcats were led on offense by senior guard Antoinette Miller, who finished with a game-high 17 points.

"We've got a quick turnaround," Clark-Heard said. "This group, we're better than this, and I will take that as the coach. We'll get this figured out."

UC will look to bounce back as it visits Wichita State Saturday at 3 p.m.