UC vs UCONN volleyball (18 of 20).jpg

The University of Cincinnati volleyball team defeated the University of Connecticut 3-2 on senior day Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019 at Fifth Third Arena.

The University of Cincinnati volleyball team fell short of an American Athletic Conference (AAC) Championship in the finals match, losing 3-2 to University of Central Florida (UCF) Sunday afternoon in Orlando, Fla.

The Knights used a 4-0 run in the final set to take a 13-8 lead. UC senior Jordan Thompson got a kill and the team got a service error for another point, but UCF came back with two kills to win the set 15-10.

Thompson finished with 38 kills and 63 kills over the two tournament matches. Sophomore setter Armania Heckenmueller added 69 assists against UCF and 110 for the tournament. Both were both named to the all-tournament team.

Thompson tied her career-high with 20 digs in the loss. She was one of three players to finish with at least 20 digs against UCF, as Mackenzie Connor finished with 28 and Maria Mallon had 22.

The Bearcats (25-6) entered the tournament as a No. 1 seed and were awarded a first-round bye. They swept Tulane University, 3-0, in the second round. The Green Wave were the only AAC team to beat the Bearcats in the regular-season.

UC swept UCF in the only regular-season meeting Oct. 4.

The NCAA Tournament selection show is Dec. 1 at 8:30 p.m. on ESPNU.

Schultz has been with The News Record since September 2017. A Cincinnati native, Schultz is interested in a career in broadcasting.