UC volleyball advances NCAA Tournament

The University of Cincinnati volleyball team celebrates advancing in the NCAA Tournament Saturday evening after a 3-2 victory over the University of Pittsburgh.

The University of Cincinnati volleyball team is Sweet 16 bound in the NCAA Tournament following a 3-2 win over No. 6 University of Pittsburgh Saturday evening in Pittsburgh.

UC faced a 2-1 deficit heading into the fourth set and rallied behind senior Jordan Thompson’s 27 kills to come out on top. The Bearcats won the fourth set, 25-21, and faced a 4-0 deficit in the fifth. Thompson and sophomore Maria Mallon, who got the final kill of the match, combined for eight kills in the set.

Mallon finished with 19 kills, nine digs, three service aces and two blocks. UC had its most blocks in a match (15) since October 2018 and averaged just 1.5 blocks per set this season. Mallon was one of seven players to have at least two blocks, with Karoline Fauske (6) and Dimitra Tziarli (8) both adding career highs.

UC defeated Virginia Commonwealth University, 3-1, in the first round Friday and backed it up with arguably their biggest win in program history against the Panthers.

The Bearcats advance to face No. 11 Penn State in the Sweet 16 Friday at 8 p.m. in Stanford, Calif.

Schultz has been with The News Record since September 2017. A Cincinnati native, Schultz is interested in a career in broadcasting.