Favorite male athlete: Jarron Cumberland (copy) (copy)

University of Cincinnati men's basketball junior Jarron Cumberland.

University of Cincinnati men's basketball junior Jarron Cumberland announced his decision to "test the waters" of the 2019 NBA Draft Saturday via his Instagram page.ย 

Cumberland will receive feedback from various NBA organizations before making his official decision on whether or not he will leave UC or stay for his senior season. He has until May 29 to make the decision.

โ€œTo start, Iโ€™d like to say thank you,โ€ Cumberland said. โ€œTo my family: I wouldnโ€™t be where I am today without your love and support. To my teammates: you truly are my brothers. You have pushed me every day to be the player I am today. And to the fans: coming to Cincinnati was easily the best decision that Iโ€™ve ever made. This has been an amazing three years and I will always represent Cincinnati. For now, Iโ€™ve decided to test the waters and see where I stand in the NBA draft process.โ€

Cumberland, a 6-foot-5 guard, was named the 2018-19 American Athletic Conference Player of the Year, as well of the Most Outstanding Player of the conference tournament.

โ€œSince becoming the head coach at the University of Cincinnati Iโ€™ve had multiple conversations with Jarron and his family about his desire to play in the NBA,โ€ new UC head coach John Brannen said. โ€œThis is the first step toward that goal. I fully support Jarronโ€™s decision and look forward to assisting him with this process any way that I can.โ€

After averaging 18.8 points per game in his junior season, Cumberland now sits at No. 20 on UC's all-time scoring list atย 1,363.

Matt Huffmon has been with The News Record since 2018 as staff reporter, sports editor, and managing editor. He has bylines with The Plain Dealer/cleveland.com, and this summer, he will be a communications intern with Kentucky Speedway.