UC vs A A&M MBB 11-14-19 (17 of 17).jpg

The University of Cincinnati men's basketball team defeated Alabama A&M 85-53 at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019.

University of Cincinnati men's basketball senior guard Jarron Cumberland did not play against Alabama A&M University Thursday evening.

First-year UC head coach John Brannen said the absence occurred due to a "coach's decision".

"I made a decision prior to the game that he wouldn't be playing tonight," Brannen said postgame. "That's pretty much all I have on that."

Brannen didn't elaborate on whether the decision stemmed from an issue on or off the court.

"That's the great part about a coach's decision," Brannen said when asked how long the decision could last. "I'll get a chance to re-evaluate it as we go forward."

Cumberland, the reigning American Athletic Conference Player of the Year, did not participate in pregame workouts and sat on the bench throughout the game. 

UC dominated Alabama A&M, 85-53, behind 18 points and 10 rebounds from 7-foot-1 center Chris Vogt. It was the first double-double for the Northern Kentucky University transfer in a Bearcat uniform.

Vogt and guard Keith Williams didn't speculate on Brannen's decision to keep Jarron Cumberland on the bench. 

"It was weird [not having Cumberland on the court], but you know, we still got to play and try to win," Williams said postgame.

Jaevin Cumberland, Jarron's cousin, was inserted into the starting lineup. He scored 13 points and dished out six assists in 29 minutes of action.

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.