UC vs Memphis MBB 2-13-2020 (23 of 20).jpg

UC men's basketball head coach John Brannen gives a thumbs up to the crowd after their win over Memphis,92-86, at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020.

The University of Cincinnati men's basketball team played its second-consecutive overtime game Thursday evening at Fifth Third Arena, outlasting the Memphis Tigers, 92-86.

The first half was defined by foul-trouble for the Bearcats, as starters Jarron Cumberland, Keith Williams and Christ Vogt each spent time on the bench after picking up two fouls.

Jarron Cumberland's second foul came with 17:22 left in the first half, prompting UC head coach John Brannen to keep the senior on the bench for nearly 10 minutes.

One Bearcat who didn't face foul trouble was redshirt senior forward Tre Scott, who tied a career-high with 25 points to go along with a career-high 19 rebounds. He also connected on two clutch free throws with ten seconds left in the second half to tie the game and force overtime.

"Big time players make big time plays," Scott said. "I see myself as a big time player, just like everybody else who had on red tonight. I needed to make those shots to keep the game going. We only have a few more weeks guaranteed, and I love this team and I love these guys."

Scott said the 60-49 loss at Memphis Jan. 16 was a motivating factor in his team's charge down the stretch and into overtime Thursday.

"I told them we wasn't losing this game no matter what," Scott said. "[Memphis] beat us at their house and we all know how that went down. I wasn't going to let them come in here and beat us at our house. Whatever we needed to do, whatever I needed to do, we were going to do it at our highest point."

UC went on a 8-0 run over a three-minute span in overtime to take control before knocking down free throws in the final minute.

Scott has been on a tear recently, pouring in 25 points and 13 rebounds in Sunday's overtime loss to the University of Connecticut.

"I've always said [Scott] is the most physically conditioned athlete I've coached," Brannen said. "He keeps showing it. His motor never stops."

UC freshman forward Jeremiah Davenport came off the bench due to Williams' absence and a lack of front-court depth. Davenport provided a spark immediately, finishing with a career-high eight points in 11 minutes of action.

"Every day in practice, I'm giving my all to the team," Davenport said. "Coach was telling me 'Just wait your turn'. He'd say it over and over and over again, and tonight I got my chance and I performed. Performed well."

Freshman point guard Mika Adams-Woods added a career-high 14 points, including three 3-pointers.

"By mid-February, you're not a freshman anymore," Brannen said of Adams-Woods. "He has logged a lot of minutes and he understands what it takes. I thought he was really, really good tonight."

UC hits the road to face East Carolina (10-15, 4-8 AAC) Sunday at noon. The Bearcats dominated the Pirates, 82-57, at Fifth Third Arena Jan. 19.

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.