UC vs Drake MBB 11/11/19

The University of Cincinnati's men's basketball team beat Drake University 81-59 at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati Monday, Nov. 11, 2019. 

The University of Cincinnati men’s basketball team defeated Drake University, 81-53, for its first win of the season Monday evening at Fifth Third Arena.

The Bearcats shot 51.7% on field goal attempts, including 11 made three-pointers.

UC was led by Jaevin Cumberland, who scored a game-high 17 points on five three pointers. It seemed to rub off on the rest of the team, as UC made eight of its 11 three-pointers as a team in the first half after just four total in last week’s loss at Ohio State.

Jarron Cumberland, Jaevin's younger cousin, was a big help. After going the first nine minutes without a basket for the second straight game, Jarron hit back-to-back three-pointers during a 21-2 UC run that ended in a 19-point halftime lead. He finished with 14 points despite sitting the final 15 minutes of the game.

Drake was led by Liam Robbins with 12 points. Drake made just four-three-pointers after making 17 in its season opener.

UC men’s basketball is back home Thursday for a matchup against Alabama A&M. Tip-off is 7 p.m.

Schultz has been with The News Record since September 2017. A Cincinnati native, Schultz is interested in a career in broadcasting.