UC vs UNLV MBB 11-30 (9 of 19).jpg

UC guard Jarron Cumberland (34) goes up for a shot during the second half of the regular season men's basketball game against UNLV at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019.

The University of Cincinnati men’s basketball team beat the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Runnin' Rebels Saturday evening, 72-65 in overtime. It was the Bearcats first game since returning from the Paradise Jam tournament in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

It was a low-scoring first-half for the Bearcats, who were only able to muster 24 points on 25% (9-of-28) shooting. Senior guard Jarron Cumberland, who is typically the Bearcats go-to scoring option, shot just 1-of-4 over that span. However, the scoring issues didn’t continue into the second-half.

Cumberland finished with a team-high 20 points.

Midway through the second-half, UC came back from a 11-point deficit at halftime to gain the lead for the first time since the beginning of the game, courtesy of back-to-back three-pointers and a put-back dunk by junior guard Keith Williams. He finished second on the team with 14 points, along with junior center Chris Vogt.

Despite leading by 10 points with just over a minute left in the second-half, some shoddy free throw shooting by the Bearcats allowed the Rebels to reduce the lead to a single possession with 24 seconds remaining. An offensive rebound allowed UNLV's Bryce Hamilton to find a wide-open Elijah Long, who drained a three-pointer to tie the game at 60 with one second left.

Overtime found both teams competing at a high-level, with UC able to make separation in the final two minutes. Vogt extended the lead to two possessions with a dunk, and the Bearcats made free throws in the closing moments to secure the win.

The Bearcats improve to a 5-2. They return to action against the University of Vermont Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Fifth Third Arena.