UC vs. ECU - 11/23/18

Scenes from the Bearcats football win against ECU at Nippert Stadium on Friday, November 23, 2018.

The University of Cincinnati football team finished up its third week of spring practice Saturday afternoon with a full-contact practice.

To wrap up the spring, the team will hold an inter-squad scrimmage Saturday evening at Nippert Stadium. The event is free and open to the public.

Head coach Luke Fickell returns for his third season with the Bearcats after leading the team to an 11-2 record and a Military Bowl victory last season.

“I am [pleased with how practice has been],” Fickell said. “What you’re ultimately looking for is guys competing against one another, having a great attitude and understanding that this is about getting better. We’ve been continuing to remind them that everybody in the country gets 15 [spring] practices.”

Knight changes positions

Aulden Knight, a junior transfer from Hampton University who appeared in all 13 games for the Bearcats last season on special teams, has transitioned from wide receiver to cornerback this spring.

“He asked me [to change positions] before spring ball started,” Fickell said. “He said ‘Coach, I just want to play, and I’ve played corner before.’… He’s stepped in there, and he’s probably got his hands on more balls than several other guys just in two practices. More importantly, I think his attitude to do whatever he needs to do to get on the field and help the team is what you love.”

More depth at running back

UC will be particularly deep at the running back position this season with the return of junior Gerrid Doaks, who missed all of last season due to a groin injury. He rushed for 513 yards as a true freshman in 2017.

Fellow junior Michael Warren II stole the show last season, rushing for a school-record 19 touchdowns on 1,329 yards.

Sophomores Tavion Thomas and Charles McClelland will also be in the mix for playing time after strong freshman seasons.

“You’re going to get better every day by competing with those guys,” Doaks said. “Me personally, I think we’ve got the best running back room in the country. Having that type of competition every day really pushes you to get yourself better.”

The scrimmage is expected to last from 6-8 p.m. Parking will be available at the Calhoun and Corry garages for $5 per vehicle.

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.