DSCF0386.jpg

The University of Cincinnati beat Miami (Ohio) University, 35-13, to win its 14th consecutive Victory Bell Sept. 14, 2019 at Nippert, Stadium.

The University of Cincinnati football team extended its Victory Bell game winning streak to 14 straight games Saturday at Nippert Stadium, defeating Miami (OH) University 35-13.

It was a slow start for UC, as the Bearcats finished the first quarter with only 39 total yards on offense and a 10-point deficit to the RedHawks.

UC junior running back Michael Warren II brought life to the offense with two second quarter rushing touchdowns.

The Bearcats led 14-10 at halftime.

"I didn't want to be down 10-0 and really be lethargic, and I give (Miami) credit," UC Head Coach Luke Fickell said postgame. "They moved the ball in the second and third series, controlled it a little bit and kept our offense off the field too which is a big deal. We just couldn't find a rhythm between penalties and shooting ourselves in the foot at times in that first half until we made some big plays."

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Desmond Ridder surpassed 3,000 career passing yards on a 51-yard touchdown pass to Thomas Geddis midway through the third quarter. Ridder finished with 186 passing yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

The touchdown resulted in UC scoring 28 unanswered points before Miami made a 36-yard field goal.

“[We] came out in the second half and really put it on them, the way we did, the way those guys did and it shows the character” Fickell said.

Warren arguably made the play of the day with a 73-yard rushing touchdown to put the game away. He finished with 113 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

"I just felt like we all had to come together as one" UC senior linebacker Bryan Wright said postgame. "Just one play wasn't going to be able to make us spark. We all had to come in as one and click together. At a point in time we weren't understanding what they were doing. We just had to go back to the drawing board and get it done."

Miami was led by running back Tyre Shelton, who finished with 39 rushing yards and the team’s only touchdown.

UC entered the game as 17-point favorites.

Schultz has been with The News Record since September 2017. A Cincinnati native, Schultz is interested in a career in broadcasting.