DSCF7857.jpg

The University of Cincinnati football team trails 16-10 at half against No. 18, University of Central Florida on Friday Oct. 4, 2019 at Nippert Stadium.

The University of Cincinnati football team improved to 5-1 overall and 2-0 in the American Athletic Conference with a 38-23 win over the University of Houston Saturday afternoon at TDECU Stadium.

UC's defense was dominant, forcing five turnovers. Safety Ja'von Hicks secured two interceptions and also recovered a fumble. Linebacker Perry Young and cornerback Coby Bryant added interceptions.

Young's interception came on a crucial play late in the fourth quarter. After a deflection, Young hauled in the Houston pass and walked into the end zone from 2-yards out to put the Bearcats ahead 38-23.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Desmond Ridder led the UC offense with 263 yards passing on 14-of-24 for three touchdowns and an interception. He added a 13-yard rushing touchdown for the first score of the day.

Rashad Medaris, Josiah Deguara and Michael Warren II each hauled in a touchdown from Ridder.

Medaris's score was for 75-yards — the longest offense play for the Bearcats so far this season. Medaris finished with three catches for 121 yards.

UC returns home to face the Tulsa Golden Hurricane next Saturday at Nippert Stadium.

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.