UC Tulsa (18 of 21).jpg (copy) (copy)

The No. 20 University of Cincinnati football team fell to No. 17 University of Memphis, 29-24, Saturday evening in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) Championship game at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium. 

It was the second meeting between the two schools in eight days, as Memphis won the first meeting, 34-24.

UC quarterback Desmond Ridder returned after missing last week with a should injury, and finished 16-of-33 passing for 233 yards and an interception. He added 113 rushing yards and a touchdown. 

UC running back Michael Warren II added 99 rushing yards on 23 carries and two touchdowns.

After a Sam Crosa field-goal gave UC a 24-23 lead with 4:23 left in the fourth quarter, Memphis scored a touchdown on a 6-yard pass from quarterback Brady White to running back Antonio Gibson. An ensuing two-point conversion was no good. 

Gibson finished with 130 rushing yards on 11 carries and a touchdown on the ground.

The Bearcats (10-3, 7-1 AAC) will await their bowl game selection Sunday afternoon. With the win, Memphis (12-1, 7-1 AAC) will likely earn a Cotton Bowl bid as the highest ranked Group of Five team. 

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.