UC vs. SMU - Cane Broome

UC's Cane Broome drives to the basket against SMU February 2, 2019 at Fifth Third Arena.

While the University of Cincinnati men’s basketball team approaches the heart of its American Athletic Conference (AAC) schedule, many alums of the program are in the midst of their respective professional seasons.

PF Gary Clark (2014-18)

Gary “The Problem” Clark was waived by the Houston Rockets Jan. 7, but signed a 10-day contract with the Orlando Magic Tuesday.

Clark came off the bench in Houston, averaging 3.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in 11.8 minutes. He had a consistent role in the rotation earlier this season, but forward Isaiah Hartenstein took the majority of his minutes in recent weeks.

Clark joins a Magic team that is looking to make the playoffs for the second consecutive season, as they are currently 7th in the Eastern Conference standings. Aaron Gordon is an established starter at power forward, so Clark will likely battle Khem Birch and Amile Jefferson for minutes off the bench.

SG Jacob Evans (2015-18)

Former Bearcat shooting guard Jacob Evans has seen an increased role in his second season with the Golden State Warriors due to long-term injuries to all-star guards Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

In 20 appearances off the bench, Evans is averaging 4.7 points and 1.6 rebounds in 15.2 minutes. He’ll most likely continue to come off the bench, as D’Angelo Russell, Damion Lee and Glenn Robinson III are expected to handle shooting guard duties if Curry returns later this season.

PG Cane Broome (2017-19)

Broome signed with the St. John’s Edge of the National Basketball League of Canada last October.

Although he hasn’t been inserted into the starting lineup, Broome is third on the team in scoring at 14.6 points per game. Broome has experience being a go-to scorer, as he ranked eighth in the country with 23.1 points per game during his sophomore year of college at Sacred Heart University before transferring to UC.

PG Justin Jenifer (2015-19)

After originally signing with the Texas Legends of the G-League in October, Jenifer has found a home with the Nurnberg Falcons BC in Germany.

In three games, Jenifer has averages of eight points and 1.3 assists in 20.9 minutes.

UC went 111-29 during Jenifer’s four years, including four NCAA Tournament appearances and two AAC tournament titles.

PG Troy Caupain (2013-17)

Caupain was on a two-way contract with the Orlando Magic last season, which allowed him to spend time with Orlando and the Lakeland Magic of the G-League, the NBA’s minor league system.

Caupain spending time with the Portland Trail Blazers during preseason training camp before being waived in October. He subsequently signed a one-year deal with Hapoel Holon of the Israeli Basketball Premier League. In nine games, he has averages of 10.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists.

SG Sean Kilpatrick (2010-14)

After helping Panathinaikos of the EuroLeague win the Greek Cup last season, Kilpatrick signed with Budućnost VOLI, located in Montenegro in November.

In two games so far, he has emerged as the team’s leading scoring at 16.5 points per game to go along with 3.5 assists.

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.