UC vs Iowa State - 12-22-15

Troy Caupain (10) hits a deep three to take the lead late in the game against Iowa State. 

While students at the University of Cincinnati had time to relax and enjoy the holidays during winter break, the school’s athletic program was busy as ever.

During the time off, the Bearcats struggled as they posted a 3-4 record.

UC began winter break by losing to their crosstown rival Xavier University 65-55 Dec. 12. After two straight wins against Norfolk State University and Virginia Commonwealth University, they lost another heartbreaker to No. 11 Iowa State University 81-79 Dec. 22.

After the loss to Iowa State, UC’s head coach Mick Cronin discussed the team’s performance.

“We made too many mistakes in the end,” Cronin said. “It’s a game of mistakes right now, and in my opinion, we make too many mistakes that we shouldn’t make.”

The Bearcats began play in the American Athletic Conference Dec. 29 and lost two out of their next three games ― most recently to the undefeated Southern Methodist University Mustangs 59-57.

Similar to the men’s team, the women’s basketball team also struggled during the break going 2-5.

The team saw losses to Xavier, the University of Tennessee at Martin, the University of Georgia, the University of Connecticut and the University of Memphis.

The team’s two wins were against Eastern Illinois University and the University of Central Florida.

After their loss to Memphis Jan. 7 UC head coach Jamelle Elliott discussed how the team could move forward.

“We just try to take it one game at a time,” Elliott said. “Our post players I think are coming, we eventually are going to need to get some point production from them on a consistent basis… it is just a matter of us bringing it together consistently and I still that believe we have a chance to do that because we have a long way to go this season.”

UC’s football team wrapped up their regular season Nov. 28, but played in the 2015 Hawai’i Bowl against San Diego State University on Christmas Eve.

The team could not seem to find any Christmas magic, though, as they were embarrassed 42-7.

Despite the Bearcats being No. 6 in the nation in total offense, San Diego State’s defense dominated the entire game.

“From the get-go, we got out-physicaled on both sides of the ball,” said UC head coach Tommy Tuberville. “You can’t play like that on offense, we just didn’t do anything at all tonight on offense.”

Sophomore quarterback Hayden Moore struggled throughout the game throwing three interceptions and no touchdowns.

“You can’t blame it on Hayden,” Tuberville said. “Hayden played hard…they put a lot of pressure on him and forced him into a lot of mistakes.”

Tuberville mentioned he must change around the team’s offensive game plan.

“We have a lot of young guys on the team, a lot of guys who have to get better,” Tuberville said. “We lose four or five seniors on offense so what we will do is we will have to adjust what we do on offense.”