SPORTS-BKC-CINCINNATI-UCF-8-OS

UCF's B.J. Taylor (1) drives against Cincinnati's Jarron Cumberland (34) at CFE Arena in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, March 7, 2019.

As the fall sports season begins, below are a few of the top headlines from University of Cincinnati athletics over the summer months.

Baseball won AAC tournament, beat Oregon State in NCAA tournament

After a rocky 1-9 start to the season, the Bearcats ended the year with a 31-31 record, and an American Athletic Conference (AAC) tournament championship. UC, the No. 2 seed, defeated Memphis, Tulane and UCF before trouncing the University of Connecticut, 22-5, for the first conference title in school history.

With the win, the Bearcats punched their first ticket to the NCAA Tournament since 1974. The Bearcats drew the No. 1 seeded Oregon State Beavers in their first NCAA regional game. Right-hander Clayton Colvin pitched six innings, allowing just two runs on six hits. A.J. Bumpass, who went 5-for-5 with three RBIs, delivered the game-winning triple in the ninth as the Bearcats won a nail-biter, 7-6.

UC would lose their next two regional games to Michigan and Creighton to end the season.

Jordan Thompson helped USA Volleyball qualify for Olympics

The two-time AAC Player of the Year scored 16 points in a win over Argentina to help secure the U.S.A. National Women’s Volleyball team a ticket to the 2020 Olympics in Japan. Thompson was also a member of the United States team that won gold in China at the 2019 FIVB Volleyball Women’s Nations League.

As a redshirt junior last season, Thompson led the NCAA in kills, points, kills per set and points per set and became the first player in 15 years to have over 800 kills in a season. She was named the AAC Preseason Player of the Year Aug. 29 for the fourth time in her career.

Jarron Cumberland returned for senior season

After announcing he would test the NBA Draft waters, Jarron Cumberland is coming back for his senior season. The 2019 AAC Player of the Year averaged a team-high of 18.8 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.

The Wilmington, Ohio, native carried his success into the postseason with averages of 23.3 points and 6.0 rebounds per game in the AAC Tournament, including a 33-point performance in the championship game.

Cumberland was an AP All-American Honorable Mention in 2019 and ranks No. 20 on Cincinnati’s all-time scoring list with 1,363 points.

Basketball program added seven newcomers

With a new coach, roster turnover is often a given. John Brannen hit the ground running on recruiting in his first few months as the UC head men’s basketball coach.

The 2019-20 Bearcats will feature seven new faces: Mika Adams-Woods, Jaevin Cumberland, Jeremiah Davenport, Zach Harvey, Chris McNeal, Jaume Sorolla and Chris Vogt.

Jaevin, Jarron Cumberland’s cousin, played the previous four seasons at Oakland University and will have one season of eligibility remaining.

“Having scouted Jaevin the last four years, the thing I am most impressed with is not only his shot making ability but his consistency at which he approaches playing the game,” Brannen said in June. “He will bring an experience and understanding of how to prepare to compete each and every day at this level.”

Harvey is a top-50 recruit in the nation, according to 247sports. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard started his high school career at Hayden High School in Topeka, Kansas, before transferring to Prolific Prep in California for his senior season.