UC vs. Navy - 11/3/18

University of Cincinnati wide receiver Kahlil Lewis tries to outrun Navy's safety Juan Hailey during their game on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 3, 2018 at Nippert Stadium.

Despite finishing 11-2, 6-2 in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) this past season, no University of Cincinnati football players have been invited to the 2019 NFL Combine.

The combine, which gives college players a chance to showcase their skills for professional scouts, is set to take place Feb. 26 through March 4 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Nine AAC football players received invitations: three from the University of Houston Cougars, three from the University of Memphis Tigers, two from the Temple University Owls and one from the University of Central Florida Knights.

UC’s Josiah Deguara, who is expected to stay with the team for a fifth year as a graduate student, was assessed as the highest-graded tight-end in the AAC by Pro Football Focus. He hauled in 38 catches for 468 yards and five touchdowns in 2018.

Sixth-year senior center Garrett Campbell is currently training for the NFL Draft with Boost Sports Performance in Nashville. Campbell appeared in eight games for the Bearcats in 2018, including the 35-31 Military Bowl victory over Virginia Tech. He suffered a broken ankle during the 49-7 win over the University of Connecticut on Sept. 29 and subsequently missed five games.

Other notable Bearcats not invited to the combine include wide receiver Kahlil Lewis (56 catches, 782 yards, nine touchdowns), defensive tackle Cortez Broughton (51 tackles, 6.5 sacks) and defensive tackle Marquise Copeland (50 tackles, four sacks).

Austin Gayle, the NFL editor for Pro Football Focus, was particularly surprised that Copeland didn’t make the cut.

What’s ahead?

The 2019 NFL Draft takes place April 25-27 in Nashville.

UC released its 2019 football schedule Feb. 7. The Bearcats kick off the season at Nippert Stadium Thursday, Aug. 29, against the UCLA Bruins before traveling to Columbus face the Ohio State Buckeyes Sept. 7.

It will be the first football meeting between UC and OSU since the 2014 season.

Matt Huffmon has been with The News Record since 2018 as staff reporter, sports editor, and managing editor. He has bylines with The Plain Dealer/cleveland.com, and this summer, he will be a communications intern with Kentucky Speedway.