Women's Basketball - Jan. 23, 2019

Junior point guard Antoinette Miller (12) set a career-high with 21 points on 5-of-10 shooting and 8-of-8 from the free-throw line in UC's 68-57 win over the University of Houston Cougars Wednesday, Jan. 23.

The University of Cincinnati women’s basketball team extended its home winning streak to eight in a 68-57 win over the University of Houston Cougars Wednesday evening at Fifth Third Arena.

The Bearcats now find themselves in second place in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) at 4-2, as the University of Connecticut Huskies and University of Central Florida Knights are tied at 6-0.

“I was just proud of how we were able to step up through adversity,” UC head coach Michelle Clark-Heard said. “We found a way to keep grinding, and that’s what it’s going to be about. Every time when you’re playing in the conference, whether it’s on your home court or away, it’s going to be tough.”

UC found itself trailing 36-31 at halftime after committing seven turnovers and shooting just 38 percent (11-of-29).

“We didn’t play well in the first half,” Clark-Heard said. “We had to come back and do the things we needed. I’m proud of how we adjusted and did the things we needed to in order to give us the win.”

Junior point guard Antoinette Miller set a career-high with 21 points on 5-of-10 shooting and 8-of-8 from the free-throw line. She also pulled down seven rebounds and dished out four assists.

Miller recognized Houston’s ability to get up and down the floor and force opponents into easy mistakes.

“We knew Houston wanted to speed us up and force us to turn the ball over,” Miller said. “We knew we had to be there for each other and have each other’s back to make sure we didn’t turn the ball over.”

Iimar’I Thomas, last week’s AAC Player of the Week, nearly posted a double-double, as the sophomore forward finished with 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting and eight rebounds. She is currently shooting 64.8 percent on the season, which ranks first in the AAC.

The Bearcats travel to Tampa to take on the 11-8 University of South Florida Bulls Jan. 30. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m., and the American Digital Network will be streaming the action.

“We have to handle our business in the conference play,” Miller said. “We need to do what we know we can do. We have to continue to play as hard as we can and take it game by game.”

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.