The University of Cincinnati (UC) men's golf program is slated to host its one and only home invitational of the year on Sept. 19 and 20. The Bearcat Invitational, hosted at Coldstream Country Club, will field 13 programs from across the NCAA in the two-day event.

With a young squad featuring seven new student-athletes, the future is exciting for head coach Doug Martin and the Bearcats. Cincinnati is led by Sam Jean and Ty Gingerich, two of the most tenured on the roster. The duo finished the Badger Invitational, Cincinnati's last outing, as the team's top-two performers and led the team to a sixth-place finish on the final day. 

Such a blend of youth with veteran leadership has created a great culture within the program, according to Martin.

"We have an unbelievable camaraderie in this group," Martin said. "Whenever you have a group of guys that love each other, and love to be around each other, it's hard to not be successful… We're establishing a culture and a love for one another that's as impressive as I've seen in any team I've ever been a part of or coached."

Cincinnati's chemistry may be linked to the aforementioned duo that is Gingerich and Jean, who have spent time as roommates and close friends for years. Jean has expressed how grateful he is to be so close with Gingerich, who said the two bring out the best in each other both on and off the course. 

Beyond culture and relationship, the pair create a high-class duo on the course. Martin describes Jean as a top-100 golfer in the country, and Gingerich has shone in tournaments such as the American Athletic Conference (AAC) championships. 

For the Bearcat Invitational, the program hopes to harness the culture they have created and turn it into success in the lone home event of the year. Coldstream Country Club, which Martin described as a "premier course," is the primary home to the Bearcats where they practice most often. With such a familiar course being the setting for a competitive event, the team feels confident and comfortable. 

"I'd definitely say the confidence is high heading in," Jean said. "It's always nice to get to play at your home course. You know every nook and cranny of it because you play it all the time, so it's just a comfortability out there that [we] don't always have at other courses."

According to Gingerich, Coldstream can be difficult with its fairway and greenside bunkers, but the Bearcats will, nonetheless, be excited to showcase their home. 

"I really love it out there," Gingerich said. 

Kenton, Ohio native Landon Bartlett is a fourth year Journalism student at the University of Cincinnati and is pursuing a certificate in Sports Media & Promotion. He enjoys both writing and photography, and has published works of both at TNR.