Kenyon Martin inducted into UC hall of fame (copy)

Kenyon Martin answers questions at the Legion of Excellence Gala. He was inducted into the James P. Kelly Hall of Fame, Monday Oct. 28, 2013.

The University of Cincinnati selected Northern Kentucky University's John Brannen as its 27th head basketball coach Sunday afternoon.

Related: UC hires NKU's Brannen as men's basketball coach

The decision was met with mixed reactions from alumni of UC's basketball program.

Kenyon Martin: "I give the University of Cincinnati a F+"

Following Mick Cronin's departure from the program last Tuesday, former Bearcat forward and NBA All-Star Kenyon Martin said he was hopeful that UC would hire Nick Van Exel, a former point guard for the Bearcats from 1991-93.

Martin voiced his displeasure with the university's decision to hire Brannen on Twitter Sunday evening, saying other former players "are not happy about that hire."

Martin later changed his stance, saying he has "no problem" with the new coach.

"[The players] deserve the highest level of praise, admiration and respect," UC Director of Athletics Mike Bohn said at Brannen's introductory press conference. "They're going to get it from me and I just want people to know how awesome they were [during the coaching search]."

Call from "The Big O"

UC basketball legend Oscar Robertson called Brannen Monday morning after the introductory press conference to introduce himself and offer congratulations.

Van Exel: "Give him a chance"

Van Exel, assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies, was reportedly interested in the job.

After not getting the job, Van Exel tweeted that UC fans need to "give [Brannen] a chance."

Matt Huffmon has been with The News Record since 2018 as staff reporter, sports editor, and managing editor. He has bylines with The Plain Dealer/cleveland.com, and this summer, he will be a communications intern with Kentucky Speedway.