You are the owner of this article.

Keire makes record splash at AAC Championships

University of Cincinnati senior Jacqueline Keire cemented her place in American Athletic Conference history, as well as UC record books, with a stellar performance at the AAC Championships.

Keire was named the AAC Most Outstanding Swimmer for the third consecutive year, a first for any student-athlete in the conference.

“It’s definitely an honor,” Keire said. “It’s really special to get awards. As far as my swimming goes, it shows consistency within three years and means that I haven’t dropped off yet, which is nice. Just staying consistent in the sport is good for me right now.”

Keire recorded a perfect 60 individual points at the event, as she secured three gold medals over the weekend to add to her collection of 13–11 individual and two relay.

The Canada native won the 50-meter freestyle, the 200-meter freestyle and the 100-meter freestyle – her third 100-meter victory in as many years at the event. Her time in the 100-meter freestyle, 47.95 seconds, was a competition record and school record.

“People ask me all the time, ‘What she’s like,’” said swimming and diving head coach Mandy Commons-DiSalle. “I always tell everyone, if you could pick someone with talent and somebody who’s coachable and put it together in the perfect person, it’d be her. It always surprises people because they think that people who are as talented as she is come with their own issues, not everyone, but people that need concessions or attention. She’s the most team-oriented swimmer and very humble about the success that she’s had. It’s never about her, it’s always about the team. To have our best swimmer represent [us] has been awesome and has been excellent for the growth of the team overall.”

Keire finishes her career in Cincinnati with one final trip to the NCAA Championship meet before setting her sights back north with dreams of the Canadian National Team.

“I’ve been all four years [to the NCAA meet]. I feel like each year, I want to progress,” Keire said. “My freshman year, I just made it, but then the following year, I got top-16. And then I got top-16 again, but last year, I wanted to come top-eight, but I didn’t get that. So, it’s still a goal for this year. I definitely think I can get top-three on the podium. More 200 than 100, but I think my 100 speed, especially at conference, is still there, so I don’t want to count myself out for that.”

She will end her career as the most decorated student-athlete in the history of the conference, having only lost one race at the conference meet during her freshman year, and has been named an NCAA All-American three times in her career.

The NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championship will take place in Indianapolis, Indiana, all day March 16-18. The men’s championship meets will also be in Indianapolis all day March 23-25.