FC Cincinnati vs. Indy Eleven - Sept. 29, 2018 (copy)

FC Cincinnati defeated Indy Eleven in Cincinnati on Saturday September 29, 2018. Final score: 3-0.

Futbol Club Cincinnati (FCC) extended its unbeaten streak to 21 games after beating Indy Eleven 3-0 at Nippert Stadium Saturday night. It was FCC’s home finale as the team finishes the regular season with two road matches.

“Fun game tonight. I don’t think it would be as enjoyable celebrating a regular-season championship if we didn’t go out and get a positive result against a very good team tonight,” head coach Alan Koch said. “I said to the guys, ‘Go out and enjoy it tonight.’ We obviously enjoyed it Wednesday. We get to enjoy it together tonight with everybody.”

Indy Eleven garnered most of the possession early in the first half and managed to get a few shots in the opening 15 minutes, which FCC was able to parry and calmly defend.

The next half-hour of play was soccer at its finest, as both teams found space to run and were able to create many chances.

FCC had three opportunities to take the lead within a span of just a few minutes, but the team was unable to take advantage.

FCC striker Fanendo Ali let it rip from outside the box and Indy Eleven goalkeeper Owain Fôn Williams was able to get a hand to it, but the power behind Ali’s kick proved intense. FCC gained the lead in the 34th minute.

The second half started like the end of the first, as both teams were in attack mode. FCC looked to get a two-goal cushion while Indy Eleven attempted to knot the score. FCC doubled its lead at the 65th minute.

Striker Danni König was one-on-one with Fôn Williams with two Indy Eleven defenders right on his tail. König was not able to control the ball when Williams stepped up. He made a grave error of judgement and the ball went through his legs. The finish was simple, as König slid the ball into the open net.

Nearly 10 minutes later, it became even worse for the visiting side. FCC clinched a third goal after a cross pass into the box was not handled properly, and Indy Eleven defender Carlyle Mitchell turned the ball into his net.

After the goal, FCC possessed complete control of the game. The Orange and Blue owned the tempo and started passing the ball more fluidly, barely giving Indy Eleven a chance to get back into it.

FCC midfielder Jimmy McLaughlin was crucial in the buildup for two of the three goals.

“It’s an amazing feeling,” McLaughlin said. “My job is to go out there, create chances, score goals and get assists. To do that tonight was even more special on an occasion like this. It was a goal and an objective of mine. I’m trying to push hard here at the final stretch of the season and keep fighting for playing time and fight for a championship.”

Fans who stayed through the end of the game witnessed to the trophy presentation to FCC for winning the regular season United Soccer League (USL) championship.

“I was surprised by Forrest Lasso ... because he went down and he pretty much hoisted me himself.” Koch said. “But I got an opportunity to kiss the trophy. You don’t win trophies in this business every single day. ”

FCC heads to Pittsburgh to take on the Riverhounds on Oct. 6, before closing out the season at Nashville Soccer Club on Oct. 13.