Dondrae Bremner - 3/13/19

UC's Dondrae Bremner (pictured above earlier this season) went 2-for-4 in a 7-5 win over Indiana University on Wednesday, March 13, 2019.

The University of Cincinnati baseball team improved to 5-10 after defeating the Indiana University Hoosiers 7-5 Wednesday night at Marge Schott Stadium.

The victory was thanks in part to a huge night from sophomore third-baseman Dondrae Bremner, who went 2-for-4 with a double, home run and five runs batted in.

Bremner’s hits came at two of the most important moments of the game, with the double coming in the sixth inning with the bases loaded and UC down 4-2, and the home-run in the eighth inning with the score tied at 5-5.

UC rallied from a deficit, as the team trailed 4-1 after the fourth inning. Hoosiers starting pitcher Gabe Bierman silenced the Bearcats’ bats early, lasting five innings and surrendering one unearned run.

Indiana scored the first run of the game in the first inning when leadoff hitter Matt Gorski opened with a double and eventually came around to score on a wild pitch. The Hoosiers scored another run in the inning on an RBI groundout by right fielder Grant Richardson. They scored again in the second inning on a balk by UC pitcher Isaac Olson, pushing their lead to 3-0.

The Bearcats answered with a run in the bottom of the third with the help of an error by the Hoosiers. However, Indiana countered with a run in the fourth inning to make the score 4-1.

UC struck back in the bottom of the sixth after Bierman was taken out of the game. With one out, designated hitter Wyatt Stapp singled to center field, then advanced to third base on a pair of wild pitches from Indiana reliver Cal Krueger. AJ Bumpass brought him home on a single to left, trimming the lead to 4-2.

The Bearcats loaded the bases with two outs, and Bremner stepped to the plate. He worked the count to 3-2 before roping a ball off the wall in left-center, scoring all three runners to give UC a 5-4 lead.

After Indiana tied the game at the top of the eighth, Bremner came to bat with two outs again, facing off against Grant Sloan with a runner on first. After falling behind 0-2 in the count, Bremner knew he had to simplify his approach.

“I just tried to make things simple, not try and do too much and put the ball in play,” Bremner said.”

He did more than just put the ball in play. On a 0-2 pitch, he laced a homerun over the right-field fence, giving the Bearcats a 7-5 lead, which they would not relinquish. Korren Thompson closed the game on the mound for UC, working two scoreless innings.

With Bierman pitching so well for the Hoosiers to start the game, Bremner said it was important for the Bearcats to try their best to get into the Indiana bullpen.

“Getting into the bullpen is always a good job,” said Bremner. “The first bullpen guy that we faced [Krueger], we faced him the last time we played them, so we kind of knew what he had, and even the last guy that came in, [Sloan], we knew what he had.”

The Bearcats scored six of seven runs against the Hoosiers’ bullpen.

UC returns to action this weekend with a three-game series against Niagara University at Marge Schott Stadium.