UC vs. ECU (MBB)

The University of Cincinnati men's basketball team took on Eastern Carolina University at Fifth Third Arena on Wednesday, Jan.11, 2022. The Bearcats triumphed over the Pirates during their 90s at 9 game with a final score of 83-55.

The University of Cincinnati (UC) men’s basketball team beat East Carolina University (ECU) in a ‘90s-themed, late-night match on Wednesday. With a dominant final score of 83-55, the Bearcats’ American Athletic Conference (AAC) record extends to 3-2 and their overall record to 12-6.

Throughout the match, the Bearcats prevented the visiting Pirates from taking the lead a single time. At one point, UC held a 30-point lead with 40 seconds left in the second half.

UC has a sizeable winning record over ECU, leading the all-time series 18-2. The Bearcats add to that record which started in 1991.

Transfer star Landers Nolley II, with 20 points and 10 rebounds, and guard David DeJulius, with 11 points and 12 assists, posted a pair of double-doubles. Cincinnati-native Jeramiah Davenport contributed 16 points, going 6-12 from the field, of his own on Wednesday night.

UC’s three-point percentage in the first half was 71.4%.  While under head coach Wes Miller, the Bearcats have shot over 50% from behind the 3-point line six times, Wednesday night being one of them.

“I feel like when everyone [is] clicking in all cylinders, we are one of the best teams in the nation,” Nolley II said.

The Bearcats’ swarming defense from the start forced the Pirates to turn the ball over three times in the first two minutes, putting the visitors in a hole they couldn’t dig out of. At the end of the first half, the Bearcats led 38-25, with Jeremiah Davenport scoring 12 points off the bench – all of which were from behind the arc.

In the second half, UC dominated and rode the first-half momentum to the finish line. The Bearcats kept the Pirates from scoring for nearly six minutes, almost an exact flip from what took place in the Houston contest last Sunday.

Freshman Josh Reed, who played 12 minutes in the contest, drained a career-high three 3-pointers. Reed’s teammates recognized his potential post game.

“I want Bearcat fans to know if they haven’t already, to appreciate Josh Reed because I feel like he is going to have a great career,” DeJulius said of his teammate.

With the up-and-down season UC has experienced thus far this season, a dominant win over an in-conference rival is a needed momentum boost as the second half of the season jumps into gear.

“At the end of the day, it's good to get a win and get a little better feeling than we had leaving here on Sunday,” Miller said.

UC travels to Dallas to take on SMU on Saturday, Jan. 14. Tipoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.