April 17 baseball

University of Cincinnati's Joey Wiemer went 3-for-4 in Tuesday evening's win over the Miami (OH) RedHawks.

University of Cincinnati baseball is suddenly on a roll with three straight wins.

The Bearcats improved to 17-19 Tuesday evening with an overwhelming 15-5 win over the Miami (OH) University RedHawks at Marge Schott Stadium.

The win carried a little extra weight, as Miami beat UC 12-8 in 11 innings last Wednesday in the championship game of the Joe Nuxhall Classic, which was hosted by UC.

UC trailed 5-1 heading into the fifth inning Tuesday before the offense exploded for 14 runs in the final four innings.

“Our guys didn’t panic,” UC head coach Scott Googins said. “That was the big thing. Our guys kept plugging away and giving good at-bats and good things happened … Our guys were ready to go.”

After providing an 11th inning walk-off homerun in the second game of Sunday’s double-header with the University of Central Florida (UCF), UC sophomore left fielder Joey Wiemer crushed a no-doubt dinger onto Sheakley Lawn in the bottom of the seventh inning to round out UC’s scoring. He added a double and single to finish 3-of-4.

UC reliever Andrew Noelker was awarded the win after giving up three hits in three innings and striking out four.

Typically a starting pitcher, UC senior A.J. Kullman pitched a scoreless seventh inning in relief, recording one strikeout.

“[Googins] asked if I wanted to throw bullpen or an inning in the game,” Kullman said. “I feel like the game experience is always a little better.”

The Bearcats hit the road this weekend for a three-game series at the University of Houston.

Huffmon is a fourth-year communications student from Tiffin, Ohio. He often covers UC athletics. He interned at the Kentucky Speedway in the summer of 2019 and has written for the Plain Dealer and the Cincinnati Enquirer.