US NEWS SCI-POLITICS-DEPRESSION 1 ND

President-elect Donald Trump speaks to supporters after winning the election at the Election Night Party at the Hilton Midtown Hotel in New York City on November 9, 2016.

Contrary to popular culture and the media, Donald Trump has, so far, performed well as commander in chief. Since taking office in 2017, Trump has overseen the most successful economic policy since Calvin Coolidge. By cutting regulations, slashing taxes and promoting business activity, U.S. unemployment rates have dropped to 3.9 percent — its lowest percentage since December 2000. Unemployment in Hispanic communities has reached an all-time low of 4.7 percent.

While Trump is arguably the most foul-mouthed President since Lyndon Johnson, his penchant for action speaks volumes. In April, Trump signed the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA) bill, making the sex trafficking epidemic a priority for his administration. The bill was sponsored by Sens. Rob Portman, R-OH., and Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn. Even CNN acknowledges that the bill makes it easier for sex trafficking victims to “hold websites accountable for knowingly facilitating sex trafficking.” But you probably won’t hear about it. Instead, you’ll hear about Trump’s affair with Stormy Daniels that happened 11 years ago, or the Mueller investigation that has drudged on for a year and a half.

There is a common view that Trump began a war on the press. After all, he’s called them “the enemy of the people.” While not helpful, and egregiously false, Trump is not entirely to blame for widespread hostility toward the press. Outlets like CNN, MSNBC, ABC and FOX regularly distort facts to fit their narrative. In June 2017, three CNN journalists resigned after relying on a single anonymous source that said Congress was investigating a Russian investment fund tied to Trump officials. Or how about when CNN incorrectly stated that then-candidate Trump and his son Donald Trump Jr. had access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks before they were made publicly available? These are just two examples of botched reports, but there are plenty more.

It’s not a big surprise that college students despise Trump. According to the Panetta Institute for Public Policy, only 10 percent of college students view Trump positively while 79 percent have negative feelings toward him — and that was before he became president. It’s completely understandable why so many college students loathe the controversial figure, but should they? A key factor in Trump’s education policy includes expanding the Pell Grant program, which provides need-based subsidies to more than 5 million college students every year. Traditionally, these grants can only be used during the standard academic year. But with Trump’s proposed policy, students would be able to use the Pell Grants to pay for summer school, enabling them to finish their education sooner.

Has the president affected your life directly? Most likely, the answer is “no.” If you look at the facts and ignore the hysteria, you just might find that Trump has indeed made America great again.