US-NEWS-PENCE-TOUTS-BENEFITS-OF-TRADE-1-1AT.jpg

Vice President Mike Pence speaks at an America First Policies event at Manning Farms in Waukee where he talked about the new trade deal and its impact on the U.S. economy and workers.

Since the Democrats, led by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, have started an unofficial impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, much debate has rightfully gone into it. If true, did Trump do something that is unprecedented and must be thrown out of office? Is it worth the risk of losing the House of Representatives in the 2020 election to go through impeachment? Is it even worth it, considering the Senate will vote no anyway? One question that isn’t being asked enough is: What about Mike Pence?

The ironic thing about impeachment is that Trump and moderate Republicans are secretly okay with the potential aspect of a President Mike Pence. Now if you are for impeachment, surely you would want to know why some Republicans are okay with impeachment. It’s because of Pence. Pence is essentially Trump on the political side, without the self-inflected gaffes.   

Before some start with “Oh, we can just impeach Pence too”, that is as likely as the Bengals winning the Super Bowl this year.

MSNBC’s Jill Wine-Banks gave a weird attempt to validate the prospect of impeaching Pence, “There is -- and Liz and I talked about this before the show -- you could impeach Pence first. The problem is that Donald Trump then has to name his replacement. But I think that maybe a deal could be struck where he was told, if you don't make a replacement, then Nancy Pelosi does become president. And so, you are going to be impeached and convicted.”

Well considering you just announced that plan out loud, I don’t think it’s going to work anymore.

If you impeach Trump, you will have Pence as president for the last bit of Trump’s term. Pence’s history of being anti-LGBTQ should give people second thoughts.

When he was campaigning for a House seat in Indiana in 2000, Pence said "Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexuals as a 'discrete and insular minority' entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.” Pence also wanted “an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organizations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus” and wanted the dollars to go to places “which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.”

Also, like Trump, Pence considers climate change “a myth.”

If people think Trump did truly something impeachable, then okay. But ask yourself, is ridding yourself of Trump for Pence really better? Because, if Trump is gone, Pence will be president. Anything other than this conclusion is delusional. If you want to support impeachment, go ahead, but ask yourself, is it worth it? 

Opinion Editor

Schell-Olsen has been with The News Record since Aug. 2018. He frequently writes about politics, society and elections.