United Nations Flag

It shouldn’t shock anyone, but the United Nations (UN) continues to stun people with its questionable decisions.

This month, the UN Human Rights Council welcomed Venezuela to its ranks. Venezuela is as worthy of being on a Human Rights Council as Electronic Arts (EA) being awarded Best Costumer Service for a corporation. Venezuela is in such chaos that zoos are feeding their animals to desperate people and 4.5 million Venezuelans have left the ailing nation since 2015. The authoritarian-socialist government led by Nicholas Maduro has been a corrupt disaster.

The fact the UN chose Venezuela over Costa Rica confirms the United States under the Trump Administration was right to leave the UN Humans Right Council. What is the point of working in a council promoting human rights, if those countries routinely violate human rights? You really think countries like Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Qatar are going to be “reformed” because they’re under a council that supports human rights? They aren’t going to stop using child soldiers, violence against the LGBTQ community and stoning people because they’re in a council. 

The UN has failed the principles in which it was founded on. From its own Charter, it says in Chapter One: Purposes and Principles, “To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace.” This has failed, as the UN has compromised strengthening human rights to maintain better foreign relations. One can argue the globe hasn’t seen a World War III, but is it worthy of tarnishing human rights to not anger human rights abusing nations?

The UN for example, held a moment of silence for North Korean dictator Kim Jong-II in 2011. Are countries so afraid of ticking off a country like North Korea that it will bend over and respect a man that stood against everything the UN is supposed to stand for? The UN is also radically anti-Israel, to deny it would be putting your head in the sand. In 1975, the UN passed a resolution which declared Zionism, “form of racism and racial discrimination.” In 2016, the UN passed a resolution that declared Israel as the only violator of “mental, physical and environmental health” which is an insane contention. 

United States taxpayers pay the global organization 22% of its budget, $1.2 billion. Why should taxpayers pay for an organization that violates its own rules when that money can go into infrastructure or mental health research?

As former UN Ambassador and South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley said, “When the United Nations consistently fails in its duty to act collectively, there are times in the life of states that we are compelled to take our own action.”

Opinion Editor

Schell-Olsen has been with The News Record since Aug. 2018. He frequently writes about politics, society and elections.