Fox News

Fox News Channel host Tucker Carlson.

Remember the sayings your teachers told you growing up, “It’s okay to be different” or “Stand out from a crowd”? Well, turns out that is a lie. For example, Fox News.

It’s no mistaking what people and rival networks think of Fox News. 

“You think that the CNN hosts can aggressively challenge government officials? I don't think so. It doesn't look that way at all. And of course, when you get to Fox News, they're a whole different animal: they're purely propaganda,” said progressive broadcaster Cenk Uyger.

Fox News has been famously known as the news channel that your grandparents would watch, as it leans right-wing.

People don’t like Fox News for the obvious reason that they aren’t left-wing. According to a Harvard study in 2017 that analyzed the news coverage of President Donald Trump’s first 100 days in office, CNN and NBC had a 93% negative tone toward Trump and CBS wasn’t far behind at 91%. Where did Fox News rank? 

Fox News had a 52% negative tone toward Trump. Of course, anyone who remotely disproves of Trump will want Fox News to get in line with the other networks.

There is the accusation that Fox News is far-right, or even to CNN host Brian Stelter “state-run media.” Some hosts like Laura Ingraham and Tucker Carlson are in fact more right-wing than preferred, and have questionable political views, especially with immigration. But are they any worse than CNN host Don Lemon, who has said quite terrible things himself and NBC host Brian Williams, a known liar?

At least Fox News doesn’t only cave to one political side, contrary to MSNBC, who only has left-wing hosts of note. Fox News has plenty of neutral to left-wing hosts on its channel, as host Shepard Smith, analyst Juan Williams and former DNC chair Donna Brazile are left-wing. Fox News also has neutral reporters such as Emmy Award winning journalist Chris Wallace, and news anchor Bret Baier. To say Fox News is only right-wing is false. 

Even Fox News can ruffle the President’s feathers from time to time, despite Trump’s obvious preference to the network.

“The New @FoxNews is letting millions of GREAT people down! We have to start looking for a new News Outlet. Fox isn’t working for us anymore!” Trump tweeted.

Admirably, Fox News didn’t cave, instead several hosts stood its ground. For example Fox News host Neil Cavuto said “Mr. President, we don't work for you. I don't work for you. My job is to cover you, not fawn over you or rip you. Just report on you."

Is it to say Fox News is perfect? Of course not. The sexual harassment scandals for example, show Fox News is far from perfect. Fox News has let several questionable people on its shows, but guess what? So has other networks.

Overall, the truth about Fox News is that it’s the only mainstream news outlet that is right-wing, and because of that, it will always have criticisms other networks may not have to deal with.

Opinion Editor

Schell-Olsen has been with The News Record since Aug. 2018. He frequently writes about politics, society and elections.