ENTER-COMMENTARY-THIS-FALLS-HOT-NEW-LA.jpg

Ambassador Gordon Sondland, U.S. Ambassador to the European Union, testifies during the open hearing of the House Intelligence Committee into the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump Nov. 20.

It’s been weeks since the House of Representatives voted mostly among party lines to launch an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump. This inquiry has been launched on the foundation of a whistleblower’s complaint that they heard from various sources that Trump, on a phone call, wanted Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden. In the process, they allegedly held foreign aid until Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced those investigations. In turn, this would damage Biden’s 2020 Presidential campaign.

It has been confirmed the phone call happened, Trump mentioned Biden and different witnesses have testified to this. However, the transcript makes it seem like Trump was more interested in the role Joe Biden had with the corruption of Burisma Holdings and the Ukrainian interference to help then-candidate Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential Election.

Fact checkers and even department officials claim Ukraine didn’t interfere in the 2016 presidential election. That claiming Ukraine interfered in the 2016 presidential election is a “conspiracy theory.” This is false, as Politico uncovered the interference in 2017. “The Ukrainian efforts had an impact in the race, helping to force Manafort’s resignation and advancing the narrative that Trump’s campaign was deeply connected to Ukraine’s foe to the east, Russia,” the article states.

Of course Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election. But is it not worth national interest to find out why Ukraine collaborated with the Clinton campaign in the 2016 presidential election? If you cared about election interference with Russia, surely you would care about Ukraine, an ally to the United States, no?

With Joe Biden, objectively it doesn’t look great that the president is interested in digging into your son’s role in Burisma. However, just because Biden is running against the president does not make him immune from investigations if the concern has a basis. Optics are indeed terrible, but it’s not without reason.

So why are the Democrats impeaching Trump now? Why didn’t they impeach him when the Mueller report came out? After all, the Mueller report didn’t “exonerate” the president from charges of obstruction of justice. That had more evidence than this current Ukraine scandal. It seems as of now, this scandal is really about the intelligence agency disagreeing with the president about foreign policy.

It seems like the impeachment inquiry is taking place at a time where the establishment Democrats are worried about the 2020 presidential election and the overall weakness of the candidates. Many of the popular Democrat proposals, such as not detaining border crossing, Medicare-for-all and banning fracking aren’t polling well for swing voters that Democrats need to win in 2020.

“As a left-wing San Francisco liberal I can say to these people: What are you thinking?” Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said about the proposals made by 2020 Democrat candidates. “You can ask the left — they’re unhappy with me for not being a socialist.”

So, essentially the impeachment inquiry is designed to slap Trump with an impeachment charge based on circumstantial evidence at best, because arguing about radical policy change will go nowhere to the minds of swing voters.

If the inquiry can prove that:

a) Trump only wanted to get political gain by damaging Biden for the 2020 election. That Trump didn’t have concerns with Biden calling for the firing of Victor Shokin in 2015, who was investigating the company his son worked for.

b) Trump didn’t care about corruption in Ukraine at all

c) There is actual evidence, not just hearsay

d) The whistleblower comes forward and the basis for their complaint wasn’t rooted in political sabotage

Then I will change my mind on impeachment. But as of now, the only truth we have about the impeachment inquiry is that it really is a witch hunt.

Opinion Editor

Schell-Olsen has been with The News Record since Aug. 2018. He frequently writes about politics, society and elections.