US NEWS STATEOFTHEUNION 10 ABA

President Donald Trump delivers his first State of the Union address before a joint session of Congress on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018.

In the wake of the midterm elections, it’s clear that the so-called blue wave was far smaller than anticipated.

The Democrats took the House, receiving a 28-seat swing to gain the majority. With a House majority, Democrats should be able to clog the political system and block Republican agendas, giving the party a much-needed foothold after being in the minority for two years. But the fact that the Dems took the House should not be a surprise to anyone, as it is common for the opposing party to retake Congress after the president’s first two years. What is interesting, however, is the size of the majority.

If you consider results in past elections, the 28-seat swing is comparatively small — even though voter turnout reached its highest midterm peak in nearly 50 years. The Republican Party took the House with a 63-seat win in 2010 after Barack Obama’s first two years in office. But not even that was evidence enough to convince the nation to elect Mitt Romney to the White House in 2012. It’s a bad sign for anybody on the left who wishes to get President Trump out of office — and for those on the right, it’s a reassurance.

I can’t say anything that happened in Ohio was too surprising. Jim Renacci wasn’t a particularly strong candidate, so it’s no wonder that Sherrod Brown got the nod to continue his Senate reign. And no matter how often there were pro-Aftab advertisements outside On The Green and on MainStreet, I expected Chabot to pull out the victory once again — and he did. The spending scandal didn’t do Pureval any favors, either. DeWine also managed to beat out Cordray in a race many had their eyes on. The one area where Democrats performed phenomenally in Ohio was in the judicial races, where Craig Baldwin, Dennis Deters, Charles Miller, Steve Martin and other Republican-endorsed figures were overtaken by their Democratic opponents. Other than that, the state was pretty red.

Nationwide, Democrats just didn’t get the big wins. Beto O’Rourke didn’t overthrow Ted Cruz and take Texas. Andrew Gillum was unable to become governor of Florida over Ron DeSantis.

If we read between the lines, we can see the mood of the nation and infer its true thoughts. Sure, there was immigration and health care, but the biggest issue in this election was Donald Trump. The question was simple: Are you voting for him, or against him? It’s why voters were urged to get out and vote all day by Snapchat and Google and seemingly every media platform in existence. The midterm results simply show what many members of mainstream media outlets can’t seem to grasp: a whole lot of us are liking the Trump presidency.

The economy is strong, tax reductions have been applauded by many and the pullback of government regulations has been well-received by much of the population. Sure, Trump is soft-skinned and has a serious Twitter problem, but the results, so far, speak for themselves. Many Americans are happy to stay on board.

So, the biggest takeaway from the midterm races? In all likelihood, Donald Trump is the favorite to win the presidential race in 2020. Democrats better hope there’s actually a wave two years from now.