War on Christmas

The War of Christmas has become a topic of debate for past holiday seasons.

It seems like ever since John Lennon released the single “Happy Xmas” in 1971, there has been a controversy over the conceived notion that the title of “Christmas” is under attack. From time to time, you’ll see a “Keep Christ in Christmas” bumper sticker on a car. Ex-child star turned Evangelical activist Kirk Cameron even made a movie “Saving Christmas,” which received a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

President Donald Trump has apparently won the "war on Christmas" since 2017, when he announced, “People are proud to be saying Merry Christmas again. I am proud to have led the charge against the assault of our cherished and beautiful phrase. Merry Christmas!!!!!”

Well, there has been the irrational folks who consider it offensive to say “Merry Christmas” however it strikes me just as irrational to refuse to say “Happy Holidays” if someone asks.

There is a notion that former President Barack Obama made “Merry Christmas” politically correct by continually saying “Happy Holidays.” However, this isn’t true. For example, in 2016, Obama literally entitled his weekly address on Christmas Eve, “Weekly Address: Merry Christmas from the President and the First Lady.” In fact, Obama didn’t have a problem with “Merry Christmas.”

While there is discrimination toward Christianity in the forms of demonizing private religious schools and the recent policy proposals in the 2020 Democratic primary that would go against the faith of most Christians, discrimination toward Christmas is a fantasy. 

If Christmas was really under attack, would we really see constant commercials of Santa Claus? You know, the guy based on St. Nick? If Christmas was really under attack, would we have music artists release Christmas albums, which promotes Christmas? If Christmas was really under attack, would we be able to give presents on the 25th? You know, Christmas?

In 2013, blogger Rachel Held Evans came up with a useful chart to determine if your faith is being discriminated. Based on that chart, you can easily determine that the holiday of Christmas is not under attack.

The truth of The War on Christmas is that it was a culture war created by who else – Fox News. In 2005, Fox News promoted the book “The War on Christmas: How the Liberal Plot to Ban the Sacred Christian Holiday Is Worse Than You Thought” by John Gibson. However, even the author was apparently flabbergasted about the impact of his book.

The book was apparently about the mistakes made by officials banning nonreligious symbols like Christmas trees out of misreading of the Constitution. It wasn’t an intentional effort to rid the country of saying “Merry Christmas”.

Overall, the "war on Christmas" is just a bunch of nothing.

As Fox News host Tucker Carlson said, “I'm a foot soldier in the war on Christmas. And the war on puppies and sunshine.”