La La Land

"La La Land"

Movies make up one of the greatest art forms that have ever existed — it has the means to educate and make people think about topics that normally would not be given a second thought.

I have always been a fan of movies. “Finding Nemo” is the first movie I remember seeing in a theater — I felt so many emotions and desired to watch more movies like that.

In all the years that I have been watching movies, I have never once read a review. I mean, when I search for a movie on Google the ratings come up on their own, but I normally don't pay attention to those. Watching a movie is a very subjective experience that transcends cultures, preferences and emotions.

You might enjoy a movie that most people despise. That doesn’t mean you have bad taste — your taste is just different. Being from India, I tend to watch a lot of Hindi movies, and I clearly remember everyone telling me not to see one particular movie because it was terrible. I ended up seeing it anyway and I thought it was probably one of the best movies that year.

But, if you do tend to go on review sites, I would advise to always go on sites where the reviews are made by fans, not paid movie critics. I do not personally have anything against movie critics, but they are paid to be as scrutinizing as possible. When there’s money involved, there’s always an agenda.

You never know what the actual feeling of a movie critic is, because they go through films minute-by-minute looking for imperfections such as bad camera angles or lighting.

When I go see a movie, I’m going for the experience of seeing a story played out on a big screen with complex character arcs and storylines.

That’s not to say there aren’t any bad movies. I personally never liked “La La Land” because it was too cheesy and overall very predictable. So, when you’re going to a movie, form opinions on your own and don’t let the words of some people dissuade you from going. As I said before, seeing a movie is a very subjective experience.

At least with the fan reviews, you know you’re getting a more accurate representation of the movie, because the ones writing the review are ordinary, everyday people, who watch movies because it provides them with an escape for two hours.

But if it was up to me, I’d skip the reviews. Just watch the trailer or other clips and if it intrigues you enough to spend $12, go see it. Or if it doesn’t seem that interesting, just wait for it come on one of the streaming platforms you already pay for.