Sanders and Warren

It may seem like democratic presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are preaching the same agenda in their 2020 presidential campaigns. Both support college for all, a $15 minimum wage, breaking up wall street and taxing the rich their fair share and Medicare for all.

With their discrepancies so often overshadowed by moderate candidates advocating for an outdated status quo, their similar policy stances leave us voters confused about which one to support. I’m here to enlighten you.

In the 2016 election, Sanders ran on the same progressive policies he backs today, then perceived as a radical outsider with dreams too big for the slow-moving American system. Denounced by many, he didn’t back down, taking on a corrupt system he knew was bought-out by big corporations more than willing to disregard people in the name of profit.

Meanwhile, even though they had been friends for years and aligned on most issues, Warren refused to endorse Sanders in the 2016 race because Hillary Clinton had reached out to her as a possible option for the vice presidency. In the hopes of a power-grab by tacking herself onto Clinton’s ticket, Warren disregarded her long-time friend and political ally and stabbed him in the back.

In 2016, Warren was too afraid to make the case for the working and middle class for fear of being called a radical like Sanders was. Now, she’s emerged onto the scene four years too late, riding a wave of support for the policy stances Sanders popularized.

Sanders has long held the same beliefs he preaches today — that inequality in this country is only worsening in the face of the profit-centered private economy that is late stage capitalism. Meanwhile, Warren’s staunchly missing that point, claiming to be “a capitalist at [her] core”, disregarding the fact that capitalism is inherently unjust.

Sanders’ campaign is an inspiring cry for revolutionizing the way our country works, knocking corporate interests from our political system. He wants to create a political system built by the people that truly works for the people, not just the 1%, who now own more wealth than the bottom 90% of Americans according to the New York Times. We need systemic change before it’s too late, and Sanders is the only one who has promised that to us.

Beyond that, when it comes to the climate crisis, Sanders is much stronger on his pro-Green New Deal stance, promising to get the U.S. to 100% renewable energy for the electricity and transportation sectors by 2030. According to his website, Sanders believes that “The climate crisis is not only the single greatest challenge facing our country; it is also our single greatest opportunity to build a more just and equitable future, but we must act immediately.”

Sanders’ unwavering consistency and political courage proves he is a candidate who would be a true powerhouse in office, creating a revolutionary change from within that not only takes on the greedy but uplifts the planet, as well as the people who’ve been left behind.

If it’s a candidate who fights for you and not billionaires and corporations you’re looking for, Sanders is clearly the best of all democratic options. He never fails to inspire those who resonate with his message, and despite his age, he’s with us.