Spotify

Noelle:

There’s no comparison: Spotify is the superior music-streaming app. Along with its sleek design and user-friendly layout, Apple Music’s features simply cannot compare to Spotify’s.

Let’s start with the design. No one can deny that Spotify’s color scheme and layout are far more aesthetically pleasing than Apple Music’s bland array of white and red. Along with a more functional design, Spotify creates customized playlists that cater to your tastes and the songs you’ve previously saved. It even recommends artists to you based on artists you’ve listened to or searched for in the past, and it features hundreds of podcasts for you to enjoy.

The best part? As a student, you can get a bundled subscription to Spotify, Hulu and Showtime for $4.99 per month. This deal offers the best bang for your buck, giving you your daily fix of binge-worthy shows, personalized playlists and relevant suggestions.

Here’s another major element that knocks Apple Music out of the running: if you’re not ready to commit to a paid subscription for Spotify, you can utilize its free services for as long as you’d like. Apple Music does not offer a free version of its services. At the end of the day, the competition between Spotify and Apple Music is nonexistent. If you’re still riding on that three-month trial of Apple Music, do yourself a favor and make the switch to Spotify. You’ll thank me later.

Anne:

My love affair with Apple Music began with what I thought would be a temporary gift. My friend gave me three months of free Apple Music (on top of the free trial) as my graduation present in high school. I planned to cancel it once those beautiful six months of unlimited music bliss expired, but I was hooked.

I was mainly drawn in by the allure of storing all my music in one place. I didn’t have to have two separate apps, which would inevitably confuse me as I struggled to remember the location of different albums. I also have a lack of storage space, so adding another space-hogging app — like Spotify — was not really an option for me.

If I’m being honest, I did get envious when all the Spotify users pulled up their “wrapped playlists” at the end of last semester, but then I noticed the “For You” section in Apple Music. In this section, Apple Music gives you a “my favorites” playlist of your most-played songs, including artists you may like based on what you listen to.

Granted, it’s not the same as finding out the harsh reality that Spotify data might offer — how many minutes I spend listening to music and how many times I replayed “Fallin’ All in You” last year, for starters. But I think I’ll live with my nice, neat music library all in one easily accessible place.

Editor-in-Chief

Noelle Zielinski has been with The News Record since 2016 as staff reporter, life and arts editor, managing editor, and editor-in-chief. She is also the writing intern at UC's College of Arts & Sciences Marketing and Communications office.

Life and Arts Editor

Anne Simendinger has been with The News Record since September 2017 as a staff reporter, digital producer, and life and arts editor. She is also a Cincinnati contributor for BroadwayWorld.