"Game of Thrones"

HBO releases the eighth season of its hit show “Game of Thrones” on Sunday, April 14, 2019.

Sam:

It seems as though “Game of Thrones” is the highest priority in any conversation right now. Last week, in my Introduction to Criminology, class, my professor began the lecture by asking, “So, what did you guys think of ‘Game of Thrones’ last night?” Immediately, eager peers of mine started to voice their opinions.

I don’t know much about “Game of Thrones,” but I certainly didn’t pay to talk about a show where twin siblings have an incestuous relationship with each other.

I can’t tell you how many times my friends have asked me what I think of the latest episode. It’s the same answer every time: “I didn’t watch it, sorry.” Then, I get lectured for five minutes about how “Game of Thrones” is the best form of entertainment since “The Walking Dead,” and I need to give it a shot.

So, I did. After three episodes, I still don’t understand the hype. Each episode is nearly an hour long, and let’s be real — everyone is just watching the show for the sex scenes.

I’ve heard all the defenses. “It gets good later!” Maybe so — but I shouldn’t have to wait five-plus hours for a show to pick up steam. A show like “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” captures my attention with a gruesome crime within the first five minutes of each episode.

If you love “Game of Thrones,” that’s great — but don’t waste my time by trying to force me to love the show.

Maggy:

While working a fairly dull summer job a few years ago, I thought to myself, “maybe I should finally start watching that show everyone’s been talking about.” Little did I know that the next month or so would be a complete “Game of Thrones”-fueled TV bender.

Since then, I’ve been a massive fan — listening to podcasts, watching YouTube videos and reading massive Twitter threads in anticipation for the latest season. The hype has been unreal, and if you’ve been anywhere near social media these last few weeks, you know how wild it is.

For anyone who is a fan of fantasy or heavy drama, this show is perfection. It’s been around for eight years, and we have seen the characters grow up before our eyes — some with redeeming arcs, and others with not-so-redeeming ones.

I can see how the bombardment of social media with memes and theories every Sunday can be a bit overwhelming for those who aren’t fans, but please — let us have our moment. The last episode of the seventh season aired nearly two years ago, and season eight premiered just last week. This is the final season — the one where fans will finally get to see who wins the game of thrones.

Eight years of amazing television is culminating in the next few weeks with the conclusion of this epic series. So, let the fans have this one. Let us enjoy the hype.

Maggy McDonel was with The News Record from October 2017-May 2019 as staff reporter and opinion editor. She was also the blog editor for Title Magazine and an editorial intern at Cincinnati Magazine.