McMicken Commons

The Society for Economic Botany will host its annual meeting at the University of Cincinnati's Uptown campus June 2-6, 2019.

The University of Cincinnati will host an international organization dedicated to research and education on the uses of plants from around the world this summer.

The annual meeting of the Society for Economic Botany will occur on UC’s Uptown West campus June 2-6.

The society focuses on exploring the uses and human relationships with plants, cultures and the environment. This year’s theme is “The Future of Forests: Perspectives from Indigenous People, Traditional Practices and Conservation.”

Speakers will include presenters from institutions across the globe, including:

• Brazilian National Institute of Amazonian Research
  • U.S. Forest Service
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Missouri Botanical Garden
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • National Autonomous University of Mexico
  • University of California, Davis

College of Charleston professor John Rashford will present a lecture at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. The meeting will also include workshops on viticulture  from UC geography professor Nick Dunning and an iPhone video-making workshop led by John De La Parra, founder and manager of the Harvard Herbariome Project.

Previous annual meetings have taken place across the globe, including in Portugal, South Africa, North Carolina, England and Mexico. Next year’s meeting will be held in Jamaica.

The society recognizes many parts of established disciplines, including anthropology, chemistry, archaeology, forestry, geography, geology, medicine, nutrition and other established botanical disciplines.

The organization — the largest professional society for individuals involved in the study of plants — includes members from all 50 states and more than 64 countries around the world. Membership is open to any individual interested in economic botany and research.

The society also releases a quarterly international journal, “Economic Botany,” devoted to the publication of original research, review papers, historical studies and book reviews.

David Rees has been with The News Record since September 2018 as staff reporter, chief reporter, and features editor.