Clifton Court Hall

Site of Clifton Court Hall, which will house offices and classrooms for use by the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Engineering and Applied Sciences.

The University of Cincinnati is preparing an $86.5 million classroom and office building on the west edge of its Uptown West campus.

The 180,000 square-foot space, dubbed Clifton Court Hall, will house an anticipated 230 offices and classrooms for use by the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Engineering and Applied Sciences among others, according to a news release.

Design will begin on the project this fall. Construction is planned to begin in fall 2020 with an opening slated for fall 2022.

The News Record reported in October that university architects plan to demolish Crosley Tower, a 16-story building that holds several departments within the College of Arts and Sciences. 

However, a new space is needed to house the building’s current tenants before demolition can begin, said Dale Beeler, UC’s director of project management.

“There’s nothing on the horizon in the next two or three years until a replacement building is built on a different site that would allow us to empty those folks out of that building,” Beeler said in October. “We need a swing building, so to speak.”

Kenneth Petren, dean of the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences, said that in addition to the demolition of Crosley Tower, the space will prepare the university for a future renovation of the Old Chemistry Building. He said he additionally views this building as a chance to interact with other colleges, similarly to the interdisciplinary uses of the 1819 Innovation Hub and the upcoming Digital Futures Building. Some of the centerpieces of the building, Petren said, may involve social sciences and media and film, among other collaborations.

Additionally, Petren said that the last new building that was designed primarily with the College of Arts and Science in mind was the Geology-Physics Building, which is now over 30 years old.

“Crosley coming down really was a big catalyst for this, because we have so many things located in Crosley, and there’s just nowhere to put it all,” Petren said. “There’s an opportunity to put a permanent, real, visible building where those physical classrooms are, so all the pieces came together.”

Multimedia Director

Mitchell Parton has been with The News Record since January 2018 as chief reporter, news editor, multimedia editor, and multimedia director. He is also a digital media intern at Cincinnati Magazine and has interned with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.