TUC chairs

Chairs inside of the Tangeman University Center remained flipped up on tables during lunch on Thursday, March 26, 2020, the first day of classes resuming after spring break. The normally busy TUC remains empty, as all classes are now online.

The University of Cincinnati has extended the suspension of in-person classes and will continue remote learning through the summer semester amid increasing coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns.

UC has conducted online classes for three weeks now and announced the extension April 1 following Ohio Governor Mike DeWine’s decision to extended the state-wide stay at home order until April 30.

According to the Ohio Department of Health, there are more than 2,500 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, including one within the UC community, which university president Neville Pinto announced in a university-wide email March 31.

Here’s what you should know about UC’s response to COVID-19:

Residential and Dining Halls

All residential and most dining halls will remain closed through the summer session. On-campus food services that will remain open with carry-out include On the Green and Market on Main. Subway and Starbucks will also remain open on medical campus.

International Travel

All university-related international travel is suspended until June 30. This applies to all faculty, staff and students and prohibits all travel associated with scholarly activities or funded by a government grant, foundation or other university. All student abroad programs are also cancelled for the entire summer semester.

Reporting Requirements

All students and faculty are encouraged to reach out to University Health Services if they meet any of the following criteria: “Anyone returning from international travel, returning from travel by cruise ship, returning from the Greater New York metropolitan area or other “hot spot” of the COVID-19 epidemic, having had close contact with an individual confirmed to have COVID-19 by laboratory testing or with a presumptive diagnosis of COVID-19, or living on campus in University Housing and having symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (including flu-like symptoms with chills, muscle aches, and diarrhea, cough, shortness of breath, or fever). In addition, the sudden loss of the sense of smell or taste can be an early sign of COVID-19 and should be immediately reported. For more information on the reporting process, see Remember to Report details.”

Health services can be contacted by emailing COVIDWatch@uc.edu.