SOLs

The orientation team is looking to hire 30-35 students to attend events, welcome new students and their families, help students get acquainted with their new surroundings and share some of their own experiences at UC.

As the semester comes to a wintery close, the University of Cincinnati’s office of New Student Orientation is circulating applications in search of Student Orientation Leaders (SOLs). 

The SOL position is a 40-hour-per-week position that offers $2,500 and up in compensation, free room and board during Bearcats Bound Orientation in the summer and a chance to travel to a “SOL retreat,” according to the New Student Orientation website.

All applicants are required to be a returning student with a minimum GPA of 2.9, have a flexible schedule, be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate and have good standing both academic and disciplinary.

“We want students who represent what it is to be a successful Bearcat,” said Kasey Drennen, director of orientations.

Drennen said the university wants its SOLs to come from a diversity of backgrounds, majors and personalities.

“Not all orientation leaders are highly energetic extroverts,” he said. “So, we don’t have one cookie-cutter example of what it is to be an orientation leader, we’re looking for all types of students.”

As UC pulls its student population from in state, out of the state and internationally, Drennen said it’s important all students feel represented and that’s what SOLs are meant to reflect.

“We really like to get a Student Orientation Leader team that looks like the incoming students,” he said.

The vast majority of students, about 99%, attend UC orientation, according to Drennen.

“[SOLs] are one of the few positions that gets to see every new student,” he said. “They get to meet with everyone.” 

Drennen encourages any student that is interested in becoming a SOL to talk with one either at their office — located at University Pavilion, Suite 120C — or at one of the many events the organization holds throughout the year.

“They can talk to you about what it really is to be an orientation leader, all the different pieces of the experience and what you can expect, that’s really the best way to find out about the position,” he said.

“You really get to learn quite a bit about the University of Cincinnati — you get to meet with a lot of people, and you really get to establish a very strong network with your other orientation leaders,” Drennen said. “And of course, the red polos.”

Applications to become a SOL begin the first Friday of every November, the application deadline is Jan. 17 at 5 p.m.