PHOTOS: Check out the grand opening of UC's $68M project (copy)

The 114,000-square-foot UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute will provide a new home for 125 physicians who specialize in neuroscience.

The Gardner Neuroscience Institute — the first new building in roughly 30 years on UC Health’s Clifton campus — is ready to begin accepting patients.

UC Health celebrated the grand opening of its newest space Thursday. The 114,000-square-foot facility at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Eden Avenue will be the new home for 125 physicians who specialize in neuroscience.

The UC Foundation began its fundraising campaign for the $68 million institute in 2015. The foundation raised more than $50 million for the project, including $14 million from the James J. and Joan A. Gardner Family Foundation.

Related: UC Health announces $30M in improvements to Clifton campus

The Gardner family also contributed a collection of 52 pieces of Rookwood pottery from James J. Gardner’s private collection, which is on display in the building’s lobby. The collection was previously on display in 2007 at the Cincinnati Art Museum.

Christopher E. C. Smitherman, vice mayor of Cincinnati, said that the new building is physical evidence of an ongoing commitment to community health, economic prosperity and job creation. The institute, Smitherman said, was his home for roughly two years when his wife faced a neurological issue.

“No one should have to leave Cincinnati for the best care for themselves or their family,” Smitherman said.

Richard P. Lofgren, president and CEO of UC Health, said that bringing all of UC’s neuroscience experts together into one place will encourage greater collaboration.

“It allows the group to facilitate and develop programs that focus their attention on patients and their recoveries,” Lofgren said. “This new space will help us to recruit and retain the best doctors and healthcare professionals to the benefit of our patients.”

A key priority in the university’s strategic direction is finding solutions to the challenges of urban health, including breakthroughs that involve access to healthcare, according to UC President Neville Pinto. The new facility will enhance multidisciplinary collaborations to fulfill that mission, he said.

“Perhaps what is the most energizing to me is the impact yet to be felt, the ways in which the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute can define the next,” Pinto said. “The next for patient care, the next for academic medicine and the next for our region and the world.”

Related: UC Health expands patient care in $22-million expansion

The facility includes several patient-friendly features, such as sliding doors, an accessible parking garage and an exterior that diffuses sunlight for patients with light sensitivities.

Joseph Broderick, director of the Gardner Neuroscience Institute, tied the facility into Cincinnati’s arts tradition, pointing specifically to architecture and storytelling.

“It’s very appropriate that we are celebrating a newly unique facility that tells stories about neuroscience, Cincinnati and the university while providing the framework for great patient care, groundbreaking research and education,” Broderick said.

UC Health will hold a community open house from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 13. It will include tours, family activities, local entertainment and health screenings.

The building is located at 3113 Bellevue Ave.