Jeff Pastor

Cincinnati City Councilman Jeff Pastor on the Cincinnati riverfront.

University of Cincinnati Undergraduate Student Government (SG) will host a panel event this month in which elected officials will discuss the importance of civic engagement and careers in public service.

The 13th Annual Governmental Affairs Summit will be held in the north lounge of Nippert West Pavilion Oct. 21 from 6-8 p.m. Confirmed speakers include State Representative Brigid Kelly, State Representative Catherine Ingram, Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman, Councilman Jeff Pastor and Sheriff Jim Neil, representative of Senator Rob Portman. 

“I would love people to come away from this event knowing how [students] can get involved and be inspired to get engaged in the civic process,” said Joshua St. Pierre, a third-year international affairs student and chairman of SG’s governmental affairs committee, which oversees the event. “I hope people can come see and find something they can get involved with, get some questions answered and feel empowered." 

St. Pierre said government officials have been eager to participate in the event as it presents an opportunity to reach their constituents at UC.

The free event will include live music from the Black Student Association Jazz Ensemble and pre-event appetizers.

Members from UC President Neville Pinto’s cabinet as well as UC board of trustees’ members will be present. Attire for the event is business casual. 

More information is available on Eventbrite.