UC Shuttles (copy)

The availability of various shuttles to and from campus adds even more benefits to commuting.

The University of Cincinnati Undergraduate Student Government (SG) voted to extend nighttime hours for university shuttles following widespread concerns about recent changes to the transportation system’s schedule.

Student senators agreed March 13 to allocate $3,672 of SG’s budget to add two additional hours to the North Xpress Route every weekday. The route will now run until 11 p.m.

The change comes in the wake of backlash from students, faculty and staff after Shuttle Services cut the hours of the North Xpress and Southwest routes in February. Shuttle temporarily ran until 10 p.m. to fill gaps in the university’s NightRide service, but the recent cuts reduced those hours to 9 p.m.

Related: UC cuts hours of late-night shuttles in favor of NightRide

The extension is part of a pilot program to determine whether the extra hours would be utilized by students, according to Sinna Habteselassie, student body president.

After Campus Watch was eliminated this semester and the nighttime route’s hours were cut last month, students allegedly told some SG representatives — including Habteselassie and Donald Crump Jr., senator-at-large — that they have felt unsafe walking in areas near campus.

Related: UC Public Safety silently discontinues Campus Watch program

As enrollment continues to increase, Habteselassie said, students will begin living further from campus than in years past, and some may require more nighttime transportation options.

The extended hours are expected to begin the week of March 25, Habteselassie said.

Multimedia Director

Mitchell Parton has been with The News Record since January 2018 as chief reporter, news editor, multimedia editor, and multimedia director. He is also a digital media intern at Cincinnati Magazine and has interned with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.