News file art

The University of Cincinnati’s Women’s Center, in partnership with Student Government and a number of other campus entities, is hosting the renowned Jennifer Baumgardner on campus for three days during the upcoming spring semester.

Baumgardner is a speaker, writer, filmmaker and activist on women’s rights, queer rights, sexuality and parenthood.

She is scheduled to visit UC’s campus Feb. 28 through March 2.

Notably, Baumgardner is the executive director of Feminist Press, author of five books and has contributed to many magazines.

Additionally, she has been a keynote speaker at more than 300 universities, organizations and conferences, as well as having taught non-fiction workshops for four years.

The events during her three-day visit to UC include a workshop on grassroots activism and feminism; a workshop on feminist writing, journalism and publishing; a book signing; two to three classroom visits; lunch for 10-15 students; a keynote speech on reproductive justice, abortion stigma, sexuality and sexual assault; and a dinner with UC faculty and staff.

The Women’s Center is also planning to add a showing of a movie produced by Baumgardner to the itinerary, with a discussion after the film, according to Madison Landkrohn, a third-year psychology student and SG’s executive director of women’s affairs.

As far as the student lunch with Baumgardner, availability is on a first come, first serve basis. Some of UC’s departments may select a few students, but general sign-ups will also be available.

Student Body Vice President Brooke Duncan noted how the three-day event features many different avenues to reach students.

Baumgardner’s visit comes with a $12,000 price tag.

Since the Women’s Center could not afford the event solely with its own funds, the event is being sponsored by quite a few other campus entities, according to Landkrohn.

These include the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer (LGBTQ) Center; Department of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies; Department of Journalism; English department; UC’s chapter of the 1 in 3 Campaign; UC Feminists; Friends of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies; the Student Wellness Center; Student Activities and Leadership Development (SALD); Department of Sociology; If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice.

SG joined the list of sponsors Wednesday after approving an appropriations bill 25-0-0 to fund the remaining balance of the event.

SG is dedicated to better serving the UC community and promoting diversity and inclusion, safety on campus and ending stigma placed on students, according to the bill.

The approved bill allocates $1,500 with a 10 percent overrun to help host Baumgardner at UC.