Student Government

The University of Cincinnati Undergraduate Student Government (SG) released a statement Thursday regarding an unannounced Feb. 2 senate meeting, saying it “regrets not notifying the public.”

In the statement, SG said the meeting, which was originally scheduled for 6 p.m. Jan. 30, was canceled due to the inclement weather and the university’s closure.

The statement was shared on SG's official Twitter account. Though it was labeled a “press release,” SG representatives did not furnish a copy of the statement to The News Record.

In an article published Wednesday by The News Record, SG representatives did not respond to multiple requests for comment on why the meeting was not publicly announced. Although the meeting was open for anyone to attend, the Ohio Revised Code requires public meetings to be announced to both the public and the news media at least 24 hours in advance.

SG said its meetings and events will be announced on the @UCStudentGov Twitter and Instagram accounts to help the organization “maintain transparency with all of [its] constituents.”

Additionally, SG released its official calendar, which outlines future events and meetings. The calendar can be viewed via the CampusLink student portal.

Multimedia Director

Mitchell Parton has been with The News Record since January 2018 as chief reporter, news editor, multimedia editor, and multimedia director. He is also a digital media intern at Cincinnati Magazine and has interned with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.