Langsam Library

With a Starbucks and many study rooms, computers and printers, Langsam Library is a perfect study spot for many UC students.

A prayer and meditation area opened in room 451 of the Walter C. Langsam Library Jan. 30 as the result of a partnership between University of Cincinnati Libraries and Undergraduate Student Government (SG).

“It’s basically a space where students can de-stress and practice their religion,” said Umaize Savani, a third-year finance and marketing student and the undergraduate student body vice president.

The idea for a prayer and meditation space was first floated as an idea when Savani and Student Body President Sinna Habteselassie began brainstorming platforms for their campaign last year. They began exploring what UC was missing as a university relative to peer institutions and noticed that, although UC has a meditation room in Tangeman University Center (TUC), the room is only available during TUC operating hours.

“We realized that Langsam is the real hub of students,” Savani said. “It has a super high influx of students throughout the day, and we wanted to make it where students would get the most utilization and benefit out of the space.”

The goal was to create an inclusive space open to everyone, Savani said. The details of the space were determined by working with several religious and mediation organizations on campus.

SG also chose Langsam as the location because it is the only place on campus that is open 24/7, Savani said.

The prayer and meditation space is equipped with furniture, yoga mats and religious texts. It is intended for prayer, meditation or silent reflection and is open 24/7. No reservations are required.

Elizabeth Schmitt was with The News Record since 2016 as staff reporter, news editor and features editor. She was an editorial intern with CityBeat and graduated in May 2019.