1819 Innovation Hub

The 1819 Innovation Hub is located right down the street from campus at 2900 Reading Road.

The 1819 Innovation Hub officially opened its doors Friday with a grand opening celebration and ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The new building, located on Reading Road near the 71 Interchange onto Martin Luther King Drive, houses space for students to connect and collaborate with businesses. Current partners with spaces in the building include Kroger, Procter & Gamble, Cincinnati Bell and CincyTech, as well as other local corporations and nonprofits.

University of Cincinnati President Neville Pinto was the opening speaker at the event. He discussed how the hub will create collaborative spaces for dreamers and disruptors to meet and share ideas.

“This is a building, in my view, with infinite possibilities,” Pinto said. “It will serve as the region’s destination for thinking, making, doing, discovery and delivery.”

Pinto highlighted the importance of the space in creating a stronger modern workforce for Greater Cincinnati.

“In our 21st century economy, talent is king, and we must always remember that talent has many choices,” Pinto said. “The 1819 Innovation Hub and the innovation district will attract and retain talent to lead us into the bold tomorrow on a pathway chartered by our Next Lives Here strategic direction.”

Chief Innovation Officer David J. Adams said Pinto challenged him approximately one year ago to create a new front door to the university. Thus, the 1819 Innovation Hub was born.

“We live in an era today where talent has choices, proximity matters and innovation is the new currency — the currency to attract, retain and grow talent,” Adams said. “That’s happening here. We’ve got a place that’s within a mile of campus where companies are collaborating with our students and our faculty around innovative solutions to the problems that they have.”

Adams said the freshman class of nursing students was at the hub one month ago to learn how to use the makerspace on the first floor. That space includes 3D printers, a wide-format printer, laser cutters and other tools for product creation, according to UC’s website.

Adams used the nursing students as an example of how the space can transform product ideas into reality.

“We have nursing students with all kinds of ideas for new products,” Adams said. “Now, they can come to the ground floor and bring those ideas to life.”

Those ideas may birth blueprints for new startup business models, Adams said, and the 1819 Hub can help students to start those as well.

“Right down the hall here, [students] can go to our venture lab and actually work with other students, as well as the University of Cincinnati, other partners we have here and the community, to bring those startups to life,” Adams said.

Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said the new building and the Innovation Corridor surrounding it will be a driving force in making Cincinnati a destination for new talent.

“When I think about how we are going to grow this city way after I’m gone, it will be tied — more than probably anything else — to the R&D capacity of our community, and the driver of that is UC,” said Cranley.

Multimedia Director

Mitchell Parton has been with The News Record since January 2018 as chief reporter, news editor, multimedia editor, and multimedia director. He is also a digital media intern at Cincinnati Magazine and has interned with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.