200 years of curation (2 of 10).jpg

Neil A. Armstrong's life is celebrated in the "200 Years of Curation" exhibit after being a professor at UC during 1970s.

The University of Cincinnati opened a new exhibit in the DAAP Dorothy W. and C. Lawson Reed Jr. Gallery Sept. 18 honoring the innovation made possible by individuals who have contributed within the university.

Titled “200 Years of Curation,” the exhibit celebrates UC’s bicentennial and displays a variety of different works and diverse objects from throughout the university’s history. The Reed Gallery partnered with individuals from across campus to work with various collection and archives.

200 years of curation (3 of 10).jpg

Professor Armstrong's poem about his trip to the Moon, along with various archives from his time serving in the U.S. Navy.

“In some respects, a lot of these collections only get traffic by researchers and not necessarily the general public,” said director of DAAP Galleries, Aaron Cowan. “It is, in many cases, an archive rather a collection that is exhibited, and so we thought it would be a nice opportunity to expose the broader campus and the community to the various collections that UC houses.”

In total, the gallery collaborated with seven different collections and archives:

• The Archives and Rare Books Library display includes “The Nuremberg Chronicle,” published in 1493 and the 1885 first edition of “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.”
  • The Robert A. Deshon and Karl J. Schlachter Library for Design, Architecture, Art and Planning display includes books created by women artists, selected by women librarians, to honor the centennial of the women’s suffrage movement.
  • The Henry R. Winkler Center for the History of the Health Professions display includes three jars from the Cantagalli apothecary collection and a Civil War amputee kit with glass eyeballs.
  • The Neil A. Armstrong Commemorative Archives display includes Armstrong’s flight log book and photographs from his 1977 Flight Test Engineering II class at UC.
  • The Oesper History of Chemistry Collections display includes a chemical atlas published in 1854, a pH meter from 1930 and a 1925 painting of an alchemical lab.
  • The Margaret H. Fulford Herbarium display includes samples of “crude drugs” from Cincinnati pharmacists and images of herbarium plant samples.
  • The Fine Arts Collection display includes works from a Cincinnati artist, Frances Wiley Faig, who studied at the Art Academy of Cincinnati, and work by Tarrence Corbin, who taught at UC and the Art Academy.

“200 Years of Curation” is the first in a series of exhibitions in which the gallery will partner with these collections and archives in discussions of mounting another exhibition in roughly two years.

“Over the next year or so we will discuss what the strategy will be as far as how we will present those,” Cowan said. “I think next time, rather than [the exhibition] being broken into sections that feature the collections, we might work together from various collections and pair objects from the different collections over different conversations or either location or time period.”

“200 Years of Curation” will be on display until Dec. 1 and is open Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.